Where is Section 3.4 (and other errata)?

Newbie here. Just found/bought the book and video last night. Looks good but I’m wondering about the PDF documentation.

1. There are four references to “section 3.4” but I can find no actual section 3.4. Example: two references on page 72. None of the sections, chapters, etc. are actually numbered.
  2. I found a typo on page 22 where the --query in the describe-stacks subcommand is wrapped in single quotes instead of double quotes. Where do I find/submit errata?
  3. Why is the table of contents at the end of the document? Is that a German thing?

Hi @faberfedor

Thanks for reaching us to us:

1. section 3.4 is “Configuring a custom domain name and HTTPS: Route 53 and Certificate Manager”. It looks like we lost the auto numbering in the titles. I will look into it.
  2. It’s a feature :slight_smile: In your shell, Single quotes won’t interpolate anything, but double quotes will.
  3. I don’t think that this is a German thing :slight_smile: In a printed book, you will find the TOC at the beginning as well. But, this is not a printed book. Most PDF viewers will render a much nicer TOC for you. E.g., on my machine, it looks like this:

That’s why we only added it to the end. We don’t expect many readers to use the TOC at the end. Do I make sense?
  1. kk

2. I guess I didn’t make myself clear. This code

aws cloudformation describe-stacks --stack-name demo-app
    –query ‘Stacks[0].Outputs[?OutputKey==‘Url’].OutputValue’
    –output text

returned [] because the shell parsed it improperly.

To get a proper response, I had to change it to this:

aws cloudformation describe-stacks --stack-name demo-app \
--query "Stacks[0].Outputs[?OutputKey=='Url'].OutputValue" \
--output text
  1. I see. I read my PDFs on a tablet where space is at a premium so I never used the sidebar. I was also wondering why clicking on an element in the TOC didn’t jump to that section. :slight_smile:

Just to make sure that we are on the same page. For me, the code example looks like this (we don’t use 'Url' ):

aws cloudformation describe-stacks --stack-name demo-app \
  --query 'Stacks[0].Outputs[?OutputKey==`Url`].OutputValue' \
  --output text

Can you confirm that we don’t confuse single quotes with back ticks here?

I forwarded your improvement idea about the ToC to the person who builds the PDFs for us. I hope we can make this work in the next update!

You are correct; I misread the backticks as single quotes. My bad.

The TOC is not that big of a deal, but the lack of numbering is, so I’d like to suggest focusing on the latter.

1 Like

Sounds good! We are working on it :slight_smile:

Michael, you might want to consider adding at least a sentence at the opening of the book that indicates that the TOC is at the end (for those who may seek it), and why you guys think that’s better for most readers. It would at least avoid the confusion and questioning. :slight_smile: Thanks for all the efforts, of course.

2 Likes

Also, @faberfedor had asked originally where errata might be filed or found. I suppose the forum here is indeed the place to file them (or first, ask about them). But is there indeed any sort of errata page/version history kept anywhere?

I appreciate that an argument may be made that “we keep the book always up to date by editing it when changes are needed”, but that wouldn’t help those who had already read some section to learn that there was some later correction to it. Do you have or plan to offer any way for folks to know what’s been changed? Thanks.

Hi @carehart
I agree, we should add a sentence to point to the TOC.

And yes, the forum is the best place to file them.

Regarding the version history. Today, if the ebook changes, we send out an email to all customers with a brief description of what changed. We don’t have a traditional errata document with all the changes. Let me know if that approach works for you.

2 Likes

Thanks. That approach makes sense, sure (solves the problem of someone who may have read something in the past and would now know if it was changed).

Since you have asked, I will say that having an available change history to view can help others, who may wonder, “how frequently is this book being updated”? or indeed just “how recently”. I have only seen the free sample chapter (just got it today), and it showed no indication of update date. Perhaps the full book has that.

To be clear, I was wondering these very things on reading the free chapter, which is what led me into the forums and indeed to this post. So it’s not just a theoretical/rhetorical question that I ask. :slight_smile: But I will trust you to decide how representative it may be, and whether to change anything if you currently have no indication of update date anywhere, in or outside the book.

Again, thanks for the quick response.

@carehart I added the “last updated” information to the product page. I hope that helps to get an idea of how up-to-date the content is.

I added the errata request to our backlog which is driven by customer feedback.

1 Like

Great. Thanks! :slight_smile:

/charlie

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.