[Chapter 3] Fargate Pricing

Hello,

I’m reading and calculating the pricing for Fargate. Looking to Page 61 (PDF version) I see follows:

• Smallest possible configuration: a container with 0.25 vCPU and 0.5 GB memory costs about USD 9 per month.
  • Medium-sized configuration: a container with 1 vCPU and 4 GB memory costs about USD 42 per month.
  • Largest possible configuration: a container with 8 vCPU and 30 GB memory costs about USD 213 per month.

I agree on pricing for first two configurations. But for the last one my result is ~330 USD/month (not 213 USD/month like described in book). This is how I calculate this:

# vCPU pricing:
 0.040480 $/vCPU/h * 8 vCPU * 24 h * 30 [days aka. 1 month]= 233.16 $/month

# Memory pricing:
 0.004445 $/GB/h * 30 GB * 24 h * 30 [days aka. 1 month]= 96.01 $/month

# Sum:
 233.16 $/month + 96.01 $/month = 329.17 $/month

Can you confirm that my calculation is correct?

Hi! Thanks for reporting this bug! The number is correct, but the text is not: The maximum Fargate configuration is 4 vCPUs, not 8. The correct last list item is:

Largest possible configuration: a container with 4 vCPU and 30 GB memory costs about USD 213 per month.

Sorry for the confusion :exploding_head:

BTW: AWS announced a way to save money for stable Fargate workloads two days ago: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-savings-plans-for-aws-compute-services/

Ahh, yes - missed the 4 vCPU limit. Thanks for fast clarifying :muscle:

Yes - I’ve read the announcement :+1: :smiley:

1 Like